NAHC Will Host Free December 2 Teleconference on the Medicare Rate Rebasing Rule
What: A free teleconference. The National Association for Home Care & Hospice (NAHC) will host a free teleconference to highlight issues of critical importance for the home care and hospice community.
When: The conference will take place Monday, December 2, 2013, from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. EST. The number to call in US/CAN Toll free is 1-877-757-0919 and the code is 351087.
Why: The final rule for the Medicare home health prospective payment system (HHPPS) was issued late on Friday, November 22, 2013. The purpose of the calls is to help NAHC members prepare for the impact of the final rule. The rule establishes four consecutive annual cuts of 3.5% in the Medicare payment rate.
In light of the new rule, NAHC and its allies plan to address the following issues:
- What kind of legislation should NAHC introduce (if any) to improve the outcome in the final regulation?
- What can be done to lessen the impact of the cuts on agencies in rural or underserved areas particularly because the current 3 percent rural add-on expires in 2015?
- What measure can be taken to increase access to the Medicare home health benefit and limit the effect of the "homebound requirement?"
- What steps can be taken to persuade the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recognize and reimburse agencies that have invested in telehealth, along with other IT hardware and software?
- What can be done to ensure that home care fulfills its potential to produce savings under the ACA?
- Should NAHC and its allies prepare a lawsuit to challenge the regulations?
- Should NAHC wage a public relations campaign to keep the issue of fair compensation before the American public?
Who is conducting the seminar: Val J. Halamandaris, President of NAHC; Jeff Kincheloe, Vice President for Government Affairs; Bill Dombi, Vice President for Law; Richard Brennan, Vice President for Technology Policy and Government Affairs; Theresa Forster, Vice President for Hospice Policy and Programs; Colin Roskey, JD, Cozen O’Connor, NAHC Counsel; and, Mary B. Langowski, JD, Partner, DLA Piper, NAHC Counsel.
Who may participate: NAHC members will receive priority, but the conference is open to all. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your place on the call. The first 500 people will be guaranteed a place.
Will questions be allowed: Yes. Questions from participants will be received 24-hours in advance or submitted while the teleconference is live on the date of the broadcast. Send questions to Mike Wittke at email@example.com.
Will the teleconference be recorded: Yes, there will be a recording of the teleconference. Highlights of the event will also appear in NAHC Report, NAHC’s daily electronic newsletter, and in CARING, its monthly magazine.