Hospice Item Set (HIS) Trainings – Save the Date!
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has announced plans for provider training related to the Hospice Item Set (HIS) and advises hospices to mark their calendars for the upcoming CMS provider trainings. CMS will host a series of provider trainings for the HIS in February and May 2014.
Beginning July 1, 2014, hospices will be required to submit two HIS records for each patient admission – a HIS-Admission record and a HIS-Discharge record.
Trainings will be divided into two sessions:
- HIS data collection training: will be held over two half-day sessions on February 4 in the afternoon and February 5, 2014 in the afternoon.
- This training will be geared towards teaching hospice providers how to complete the HIS-Admission and HIS-Discharge. The training will cover each item in the HIS, including instruction on how to complete each item, examples for each item, and a question and answer session.
- The training will be video-streamed live online on February 4th and 5th. The training will also be videorecorded and will be posted on the CMS HQRP website at a later date for provider viewing and download. Limited on-site attendance at this training will also be available.
- HIS Technical training: will be held in May 2014, exact date TBD.
- This technical training for hospice providers and vendors will cover topics such as registration, obtaining user IDs, submitting files to the QIES ASAP system, and reviewing final validation reports.
- Details about the date, time, and delivery method of this training are not yet available. Providers should check the CMS HQRP website (link below) for updates.
Providers cannot yet register for either the HIS data collection or the HIS technical training sessions. Further details about HIS training registration processes will be posted on the CMS HQRP website as they become available. Providers should visit the CMS HQRP website here on a regular basis for the most up-to-date information.
Further details about the HIS training will also be discussed on December 11, 2013 during a HIS Special Breakout Session on the Home Health, Hospice, and DME Open Door Forum (ODF).
The agenda for the 12/11 ODF, including dial-in information, is available for download on the CMS website here.